Spring has finally sprung here in New Zealand and with that Erstwilder has launched their Spring 2017 collection! I was very, very lucky to be gifted four from the new furry & feathered friends & by popular demand range and I thought I’d share my thoughts and my top picks. But first lets take a wee look at what Erstwilder has to offer us this Spring!
1. Sumptuous Sunflower 8. Curling Cassandra
2. Cheery Cherry Blossom 9. Frond Fox
3. Teleopea Waratah 10. Flamboyant Flamingo Funk
4. Ruby The Red Cardinal 11. Flamboyant Flamingo Flair
5. Wary Warri Wombat 12. Oscar Wildenfox
6. The Schnauzer And Klaus 13. She’s So Foxy
7. Blue Bayou
Erstwilder have their cult classics that us fellow brooch addicts just love and those classics have been brought back by popular demand. This time in a few new colours and textures just to make things a little more interesting! I love every piece in this collection; the range of flowers are just gorgeous and perfect for almost every outfit and the animals have a new flair and are pretty freaking cute! My favourites from this collection : Sumptuous Sunflower (sunflowers just scream summer to me and the glitter in this is adorable!), Teleopea Waratah ( it’s just so pretty to look at??) , Oscar Wildenflox ( so much character – I love him!) and She’s So Foxy (so versatile and I love the expression).
Cat Walk Stud 8. Claude The Chic
Precious Peafowl 9. Willie the White
Shi-ping The Shar Pei 10. Best Budgies
Janette The Patient 11. Natural Predator
Ozzie The Orator 12. Tori Tree Drummer
Purrfectly Content 13. Conrad Cool Beak
As a lover of all thing furry this range has really fulfilled my expectations; I absolutely adore Erstwilder’s quirky take on everyday pets. In particular; Shi – Ping the Shar Pei (those glasses and back rolls are LIFE!), Claude the Chic (because who doesn’t love a dog in a beret? Oh and those rose/gold details are stunning!) and Natural Predator (first off, it’s a cat!! And it’s pink!! – Double win). The feathered friends are filled with beautiful bright colours which will be absolutely perfect for spring; I really love the finish/colour in the Precious Peafowl although I’m terrified of birds!
Shi-Ping The Shar Pei
Claude The Chic
Thank you so much for reading this post – what are some of your favourites from these two collections? ❤
Danielle from Devel brought ‘Flat Lays’ to my attention a couple months back via Instagram in a series of colour challenges labelled #flatlayfridaychallenge. Ever since then I have been a little obsessed but kind of scared to put together my own UNTIL yesterday. Yesterday I thought why not? I’ve been so sick of the endless selfies on my profile; I want to start mixing things up a little bit by adding a few flat lays and more food photos.
What is a ‘flat lay’? For me it would be arranging/showcasing items in an orderly or randomized fashion that appeals to you on a flat surface. Whether it’s super organized or items randomly placed, it’s really up to you. Then snap a photo from a bird’s eye view perspective (#technicalterm) and there you have it! Easy.
This week I’m running through a couple of my favourites and of course the underlying theme is pink. Here a run through of each item – if you follow me on Instagram you would have seen these items pop up on my stories and/or my profile.
1. Unicorn/Magical Makeup Bag from K-mart: What can I say? I’m sucker for anything that’s pink and glittery.. I saw this on one of my infamous k-mart shops with Mum and fell in love with it. I haven’t used it much yet because it’s so pretty and I don’t want to ruin it BUT it will be my make-up bag soon enough.
2. Hell Bunny Pink Belt from Kabella Baby: I saw an Instagram post from one of my great friends, Rachel, wearing this amazing belt a couple of months ago. I had to have one immediately so I bought it the next day.. I do not regret this purchase at all, I am a huge fan of this style of Hell Bunny belt and now own it in three different colours and wear them on a daily basis! Plus it’s pink..
3. Fun Lovin’ Frenchie Brooch by Erstwilder: I have LOVED Grease for the longest time and when Erstwilder announced that they were coming out with a Grease collection I knew I had to get my hands on one! And I did! I’ve been loving my Frenchie and have put together a series of photos that should be on my Instagram.
4. Ice cream & Doughnut brooch from Bel Air Baby: I just love Bel Air Baby. I’ve been wearing these bad boys at least three times a week. There is something so cute about them, they just go with every outfit and they really make me happy.
5. Chocolate Doughnuts: If you know anything about me you’ll know that I freaking LOVE doughnuts. On Monday I went into my local bakery to pick up some snacks for my girl Xamia Arc and saw these HUGE doughnuts for $2.60 so I bought two. They are so freaking good; they don’t taste super fried (more bready than anything) and the chocolate is so sweet not a conventional doughnut but still super good. I mean.. look at it.
6. S’well Bottle 500ml: I’ve seen these everywhere lately! And as it was recently Plastic Free July I thought I’d pick one of these bad boys up to reduce plastic waste. I’m so glad I bought it too! I’ve been using it 24/7; it keeps cold water cold for 24 hours and hot water hot for 12. I love that! I’m so excited to use it in the Summer time. I highly recommend purchasing one of these.
I hope you enjoyed my little write up and please let me know some of your favourites down below! ❤
I love the outfit of the day concept also known as “OOTD” posts – the initial outfit idea, putting the outfit together, photographing and sharing it with y’all! It’s something I love to do on all of my social media platforms particularly Instagram and I want to showcase it more here and actually talk through the outfits because not only do I love sharing my outfits but I also love reading outfits of the day posts. I hope you enjoy these two very different looks; I had a lot of fun styling my Atomic Tote and I hope you can get a little bit of inspiration!
Flamingo Border Tea Dress – Lady V London
My first outfit came to me as soon as I knew my Sun Jellies Atomic Tote in yellow was coming my way (I am OBSESSED) – SPRING. I wanted as many spring like colours as possible so as always I purchased a Lady V London dress and this time I went with the Flamingo Tea Dress in pink dress this time from local shop Kabella Baby. First off this dress is amazing and I have wanted it since its release; not only are the colours/print incredible & striking, it has pockets AND it’s also made out of 96% Polyester / 4% Elastine so you don’t have to iron it. I repeat you do NOT have to iron this dress before wear… I am so over ironing dresses and I’ve been able to throw this dress in my bag and travel with it without it creasing (a miracle)! I also have been loving brooches/pins just to add a little detail to an outfit and with this one I am wearing my current obsessions “RESTING BABE FACE” by Oh You Fox and my fav pink doughnut brooch by Bel Air Baby – I love them so much!
Ascot Swing Dress in Cobalt Blue – The Pretty Dress Company
I spoke about this dress in my blog post from last week and on that occasion I had dressed it up now it was time for me tone it down a little. I was only heading to the supermarket so I wanted something that looked good, I could wear my hair down with and didn’t need too many accessories. And the Ascot Swing Dress in Cobalt Blue by The Pretty Dress Company (bought at Rita Sue Clothing) was the perfect fit AND it went well with my Sun Jellies Atomic Tote which I was bringing along on my supermarket trip as it carries heaps and the handles don’t hurt my hands! Again the material is 63% Polyester, 32% Viscose, 5% Spandex which makes it SUPER comfortable and I’m only interested in clothes that are comfortable and I don’t have to iron – hurrah!
Thanks for the read – that’s two blog posts in a row! Can you believe it?! I will hopefully have a third post up next week it all depends on life stuff but I can promise you that I am working on a SERIOUSLY cool project at the moment (photos to come)!
As promised (maybe a little late) here is a little recap all about my trip to Auckland at the end of May. I am not a fan of travelling, I don’t know what it is but I just get so anxious and make myself sick so unfortunately I wasn’t feeling my best – just letting you know why I look so pained in my photos!! Anyway, the trip begun with a 10.45am plane trip from Wellington we got there at least one hour early (#anxiety) and bumped in Mrs Greatnews who just so happened to be on the same flight as us – what a coincidence!
The reason why Sam & I went up to Auckland was so I could attend The Pin Up Honeys Social Club’s Soiree celebrating Miss Monique Sweet & Dariel Dearlove great wins at the American Rockabilly convention Viva Las Vegas! And what a night it was, but I’ll get on to that a little later.
On the day of the soiree I wasn’t too sure about the dress I had packed so Sam & I decided to hike up the hill to the infamous K-Rd (Karangahape Road) to visit the lovely Cathy from Rita Sue Clothing. Not only did we find Cathy but we also found Kaye (from Kabella Baby) in there which was so lovely – it’s nice being able to chat in REAL LIFE. From there I tried on a couple of dresses, first up was the gorgeous Ava dress from PUG which was the most beautiful shade of silver – I adored it but I wasn’t 100% sure. Then Cathy pulled out the most amazing dress ( I, myself would never have picked it up) but as soon as I tried it on I felt a million bucks and that dress was from The Pretty Dress Company. A company I have heard so much about and now I know why, the material is gorgeous (amazing quality with stretch) and the design just flatters every inch of your body – I could not recommend them enough! And if you’re in Auckland head to Rita Sue Clothing – the customer service is amazing and they will really help you find the right dress for any occasion.
I had also been super excited to try baked goods from The Pie Piper & Doornuts on K-Rd they recently opened up a store front and I am so glad I got to try some of their marvelous treats. I went for Awhi’s strawberry sprinkled doughnut and Sam went with the angelic angel food cake. My doughnut was a life changing experience, I’ve never had a doughnut so soft and delicate as the one I got from The Pie Piper/Doornuts and I totally regret not buying the S’mores doughnut whilst I was there.. We went back on the Monday only to find out that they weren’t opened, we were so gutted! I will definitely be returning next time I’m up that way but if you’re lucky enough to live in Auckland DO CHECK THEM OUT! You will not regret it.
Another place we went to whilst on K-Rd was Lord of the Fries and oh.. my.. GOSH. Why don’t we have this chain in Wellington?! It’s amazing, we went back two times I think.. On the first visit we didn’t realise until we had left that all the food is vegetarian? Then on the next two visits we really went to town! If you’re vegetarian and you’re into that American styled food I highly recommend Lord of the Fries if you have it in your area!
After eating our weight in junk food we decided to chill at our hotel, I set my hair again because the Auckland humidity had destroyed my curls. And then I got ready for the soiree, I bought these super flashy earrings from Lovisa and brought my vintage costume necklace and paired it with the amazing Pretty Dress Company dress I had bought earlier in the day. Then I made my way to Hotel Debrett where the soiree was being held.
I was beyond nervous, it’s so hard meeting people in real life but all of the Pin Up Honeys were SO lovely, I got to meet so many beauties that I have been following online for the LONGEST time and a whole lot of new faces too – shout out to; Miss Honey Bee, Ginger is a NZ Pinup, Danielle from Devel Branded, Miss Lily Grace, Miss RougeMiss Rouge, Miss Monique Sweet, Dariel Dearlove, Miss Estelle Belle, Miss Daphne Delov and Dolly Duet (+ so many more). It was a fab night and I feel so excited to see everyone at the Very Vintage Day Out.
The next two days were a blur, I felt so unwell – does anyone else get this when travelling or am I the only one? I took it easy and explored Auckland city with my beautiful boyfriend, we took blog photos, ate junk food, went to the infamous Daiso store (my Mum loves it so much) and then we went to see Guardians of the Galaxy 2. The Guardians of the Galaxy films are so freaking good they really have something for EVERYBODY. I absolutely LOVED this film, I wasn’t sure if it would live up to the first movie but it did not disappoint!
I had such a great time in Auckland and I can’t wait to go back up later this year for the Very Vintage Day Out. After a lot thought I have decided to enter the Miss Pin Up New Zealand competition so please cross your fingers & toes for me! I hope you are all having a lovely week and I should be back to posting weekly soon enough!
If you want to see more of what I get up to be sure to follow me on: Instagram Facebook
Petticoats – they are a way of life for me. I purchased my first petticoat in 2014 at the Glory Days Winter Vintage event and I haven’t looked back since! I bought an amazing vintage petticoat that has pastel rainbow all over the edges; it’s the softest petticoat I own and it is by FAR my favourite. Petticoats are great but how do you wash them? I had absolutely no idea when I first bought mine but I have now come up with a way that keeps my petticoats clean, soft and smelling fresh even in the middle of winter.
1. First select your petticoats – I like to clean mine two at a time so I have at last two clean on rotation.
2. Begin by filling a bathtub a couple on inches high with lukewarm water – you don’t want hot water. I then press my petticoats into the warm water until they are completely saturated.
3. I use Rocking Green laundry powder ( 2 tbsp) as a cleaner as I suffer from dermatitis and it’s free from SLS- and Parabens which helps me greatly. When washing petticoats you SHOULD hand wash them as they are super delicate!
4. Swirl your petticoats in the warm water with the laundry powder. You want to make sure they are really soaking up all of the cleaning goodness!
5. Leave to soak for a good 10-15 minutes then drain the bathtub and rinse the petticoats under a cold tap until they no longer feel soapy.
6. Now this is the hard part; you want to squeeze as much water out of your petticoats as you can. I usually give a full ten minutes for this process as you don’t want your petticoats to drag from all of the water weight.
7. I then leave to drip dry in my shower or alternatively outside with a washing tub underneath to catch all of the drips!
And that is how I clean my petticoats – let me know how you clean yours below! ❤
I.Love.Flowers. And do you know what I love more? Floral print dresses. This beautiful piece from Dolly and Dotty is called the Katherine dress and I am absolutely in love with it. My pinup wardrobe has been missing winter essentials – I think I have one dress with long sleeves and the rest are sleeveless so when I saw the Katherine dress I knew I had to have it. The delicate floral print is perfect year round – bright for those dull winter days and you can match your surroundings in the spring. The Katherine dress is made from 95% Cotton, 5% Elasthan making it a lightweight fabric with a bit of stretch – although I 100% agree with Dolly and Dotty’s advice, you will need to size up as this is very tight fitting on me. In my excitement I didn’t read that and got my usual size but it still fits!!
1. Swing Jacket – The Seamstress of Bloomsbury – $216.71 NZD
Oh my god this JACKET! It was love at first sight with this baby, I have never wanted a coat more than I have wanted this one. I fell in love with the red check (check it out on their website) and the entirety of the outfit the model was wearing. Pants? I don’t even wear pants but paired with this they look AMAZING. This is something I’m saving for but it can wait for winter (even though we haven’t had a summer here in Wellington).
2. Red Bamboo Hoop Earrings – Bows and Crossbones – $10.40 NZD
I have been obsessed with bamboo hoop earrings for a couple of months and I finally caved and bought two different styles from Bows and Crossbones last night. Whilst scrolling through their amazing catalog I saw these gorgeous earrings but girl, I’m on a budget so they will just have to wait. I will see how my other pairs work out then buy these babies!
3. Cherry Red – Besame Cosmetics – $30.55 NZD
I have fallen head over heels for Besame Cosemetics after my boyfriend bought me two of their lipsticks – Red, hot red and Victory red. I absolutely love the smell, colour and the fact they last all day and AND they feel so light on the lip! This is the next shade I want in their collection because you can never have too many red lippies, right?
4. Winnie Trousers – The Seamstress of Bloomsbury – $84.95 NZD
Again, I’m not a huge fan of trousers but these look amazing on the model from Seamstress and I just want to look like her! I have an amazing jumpsuit from Seamstress and I know for a fact that crepe de chine is super flattering even if you’re not super confident with your tum!
5. Grace Blouse – The Seamstress of Bloomsbury – $67.61 NZD
Well now I’m just looking super obsessed with The Seamstress of Bloomsbury… that’s because I am! I love their nod to the forties and this blouse is so forties it HURTS. I really love high necks so this blouse is up my alley. I just want everything Seamstress has to offer – note to self: win the lottery.
6. Keds – Champion Oxford CVO – Hannahs – $69.95 NZD
A few years ago I bought some canvas white sneakers that were SO cute and I really want a new pair that I can just wear with all of my outfits. I am all about comfort and I refuse to wear heels especially in summer! These are something that I will probably buy once I find out how to keep them super white.